Misc for September 15, 2014
Better late than never this week. I’ve made my first soup of the season this evening, a simple puree of boiled cauliflower, cream, chicken stock, salt, pepper and chives. There’s not much to it, but it tastes simple and nourishing and gives me a good excuse to shovel in big chunks of ciabatta.
Do you have a fan of The Mountain Goats in your life? You’d probably know it if you did, but if not, heads up: we’re just a little excited because tomorrow is release day!
Not that release day, but the day a FedEx/UPSperson will deliver Wolf In White Van, the first novel by John Darnielle into my hot little hands.
Don’t take my giddy anticipation for it, here are a few reviews:
- John Darnielle’s first novel plays a dark game
- Sprinting Toward Epiphany: Talking With A Songwriter Turned Novelist
- We Shall All Be Healed
If you’d like to have your very own column on McSweeney’s Internet Tendency, you only have a week left to enter your submission in their annual Column Contest.
Other articles that I’ve kept hanging around in tabs for far too long:
- The New Luddites: Why Former Digital Prophets Are Turning Against Tech
- Why Everyone Should Read Harry Potter
- My Daughter’s Homework Is Killing Me
- The Death of Adulthood in American Culture
- Fingerprint Words: The verbal tics that make up who we are—and how they spread to others
Okay, that’s it for the moment. Now get on with that wild, amazing week you were planning to have!